St. John’s Episcopal Church in Marion, NC was established on May, 24th 1881 by Reverend Charles T. Bland. Early services were held in local homes. The current building was constructed in 1883 and the first service was held on November 26th, Thanksgiving Day, 1883.
The picture above is the earliest known photograph of our Church building. This photograph was taken prior to the church being enlarged in 1944 when the sacristy and choir rooms were added and the building was extended 17 feet from the bell tower towards Main Street.